Water Ionizer Plates: Solid or Mesh?
Plates are the most important part of any water ionizer machine. The plates are where the magic of ionization happens. The function of the plates is to electrolyze the water, restructure it and separate it into the alkaline and acid streams. This separation process requires a large amount of electricity, so it’s important for the plates to be perfectly suited for this job.
Before we discuss the different types of plates, let’s quickly review the electrolysis concept. In 1831, a famous engineer named Michael Faraday created a series of principles that prove that electricity prefers to be on the edge of surfaces. These principles explain why a lightning rod has a point (edge) at the top to attract the lightning. The principles were heavily considered in the designs of the plates that go inside a water ionizer machine.
- Solid plates have strength and durability.
- Solid plates have an economical design, resulting in lower-priced water ionizer machines.
- Solid plates are outdated technology.
- Solid plates only conduct electricity on their edges.
- Solid plates generate minimal power while using a large amount of power.
- Solid plates produce water with lower pH and -ORP levels.
- Mesh plates have a lot of edges, which is great for conducting electricity.
- Mesh plates have more surface area for water to flow over.
- Mesh plates typically generate greater pH and -ORP levels than solid plates.
- Mesh plates are not strong.
- Mesh plates are more susceptible to wear and tear.
- Mesh plates have a tendency to get clogged, especially in areas where there are lime scale problems.
- Water ionizer machines with mesh plates tend to cost more than machines with solid plates.
As you can see, there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of plates. If only there was a way to have the best of both worlds! Actually, advances in technology are promising just that. Make sure to check back to read about the soon-to-be-released solid/mesh hybrid plate and why we feel the solid/mesh hybrid plate is going to change the game in plate technology!